Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Carrying your Internet cloud with you

I am currently using a wonderful little device obtained from my local Verizon carrier for my Internet needs when I am away from a line. This little card-like device is called a MiFi 2200. (Cute play on words for WiFi, eh?) It is a little bigger than a credit card and about 3 or 4 times as thick. What it does is connect you to the Internet anywhere you can get a Verizon signal. Previously, I had a plug in device that served the same function.

So why switch over? One of the beauties of this device is it broadcasts its signal for a range of about 30 feet, and it supports up to 5 users at one time. You do not have to plug it in, like the older device, just cut it on. So you and others can use it at the same time. Great for collaborating with others, or for use at the house when your cable connection is on the fritz, as it is at my house. Security is provided using the concept of "security by proximity". For another user to log on, in addition to being close enough, they have to use the log-in password, which is printed on your MiFi card. If you don't give it to them, they can't get on. If you move away, they can't get on. You are in control of usage.

The other thing I like is the portability. I can have the card in my coat pocket, computer case, etc. and as long as it is on, I am in business. I don't have to plug it into my computer, although I can. So you can be discrete, if you desire.

The device costs $150.00, with a contract, of course. You get a $50.00 rebate. If you are a current user of the old device, the cost is $100.00, with the same $50 rebate. Subscription plans have two options, with two amounts of data. Choose the bigger one, for about $65 or so per month, which was what I was paying for the old card. As a bonus, as an old card user, I get unlimited data. Love the grandfather clause!

If you travel much, and use the internet connections in airports, coffee shops, etc., this device can pay for itself very quickly. I also enjoy the piece of mind knowing I can get on even when the cable or T1 line is on the blink.

Two big thumbs up from me for the MiFi 2200 by Verizon.

3 comments:

Polycarp said...

How long does the router hold a charge?

Hugh W. Tedder, Jr. said...

supposed to be four hours (one Wi-Fi client); 40 hours standby--I have not tested this myself. Also, you can plug it into your computer and use that juice

Polycarp said...

Sounds like a nifty device, but I don't take my computer to many places that don't have Wi-Fi, at least not enough to justify the monthly expense. Good to klnow its there if that changes.